Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures - Chapter C9
Buckling Strength of Curved Sheet Panels and Spherical Plates. Ultimate Strength of Stiffened Curved Sheet Structures.
This document 'Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures - Chapter C9: Buckling Strength of Curved Sheet Panels and Spherical Plates. Ultimate Strength of Stiffened Curved Sheet Structures.' is part of the 'Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures' book by E.F. Bruhn.
Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures by E.F. Bruhn is one of the most useful Aerospace Industry and University text books ever written with the emphasis on practical application with input from both material strength and hands-on experience. It was originally published in 1965, and was revised in 1973. This book was prepared as a source of data and procedure for use in the sizing and design of both airframe and space vehicle structures and is the only book that has been widely used by the Aerospace Industry to date. The material presented herein has been compiled largely from the data of NACA reports and technical publications. Also there are chapters in this book that contain materials supplied to the author by well known flight vehicle structural experts from various universities and aerospace companies.
The book includes step-by-step analysis of flight vehicle structures with real world practical examples of numerical calculations to clarify either the method of analysis or the use of design data and/or curves to give engineers a real-world feeling of how to achieve the most efficient flight vehicle structural design. In fact engineers rarely come up empty while turning to this book for an example problem to help solve an actually design or analysis problem in flight vehicle design. It is mostly focused on metallic structural materials and includes a chapter on some selected flight vehicle metallic materials and their properties.
The book starts at the very basic Statically Determinate Structures, moving quickly on to the more specialised flight vehicle specific topics. Some of the more useful chapters include: Membrane Stress in Pressure Vessels, Elastic and Inelastic Instability of Columns and Thin Sheets, Buckling of Flat Sheets, Monocoque Cylinders and Conical Shells, Sandwich Structural Design, Welded Aircraft Structures, Fittings and Connections, Bolted and Riveted and the list goes on.
It is a widely used and highly recommended resource for both academia and industry.
- Chapter A1 : The Work of the Aerospace Structures Engineer
- Chapter A2 : Equilibrium of Force Systems. Truss Structures. Externally Braced Wings. Landing Gear
- Chapter A3 : Properties of Sections - Centroids, Moments of Inertia, etc.
- Chapter A4 : General Loads on Aircraft
- Chapter A5 : Beams - Shear and Moments. Beam - Column Moments
- Chapter A6 : Torsion - Stresses and Deflections
- Chapter A7 : Deflections of Structures. Castigliano's Theorem. Virtual Work. Matrix Methods
- Chapter A8 : Indeterminate Structures. Theorem of Least Work. Virtual Work. Matrix Methods
- Chapter A9 : Bending Moments in Frames and Rings by Elastic Center Method
- Chapter A10 : Column Analogy Method
- Chapter A11 : Continuous Structures - Moment Distribution Method
- Chapter A12 : Slope Deflection Method
- Chapter A13 : Bending Stresses
- Chapter A14 : Bending Shear Stresses - Solid and Open Sections Shear Center
- Chapter A15 : Shear Flow in Closed Thin-Walled Sections
- Chapter A16 : Membrane Stresses in Pressure Vessels
- Chapter A17 : Bending of Plates
- Chapter A18 : Theory of the Instability of Columns and Thin Sheets
- Chapter A19 : Introduction to Wing Stress Analysis by Modified Beam Theory
- Chapter A20 : Introduction to Fuselage Stress Analysis by Modified Beam Theory
- Chapter A21 : Loads and Stresses on Ribs and Frames
- Chapter A22 : Analysis of Special Wing Problems. Cutouts. Shear Lag. Swept Wing
- Chapter A23 : Analysis by the "Method of Displacements"
- Chapter A24 : The 3-Dimensional Equations of Thermoelasticity
- Chapter A25 : The 2-Dimensional Equations of Elasticity and Thermoelasticity
- Chapter A26 : Selected Problems in Elasticity and Thermoelasticity
- Chapter B1 : Basic Principles and Definitions
- Chapter B2 : Mechanical and Physical Properties of Metallic Materials for Flight Vehicle Structures
- Chapter C1 : Combined Stresses. Theory of Yield and Ultimate Failure
- Chapter C2 : Strength of Columns with Stable Cross-Sections
- Chapter C3 : Yield and Ultimate Strength in Bending
- Chapter C4 : Strength and Design of Round, Streamline, Oval and Square Tubing in Tension, Compression, Bending, Torsion and Combined Loadings
- Chapter C5 : Buckling Strength of Flat Sheet in Compression, Shear, Bending and Under Combined Stress Systems
- Chapter C6 : Local Buckling Stress for Composite Shapes
- Chapter C7 : Crippling Strength of Composite Shapes and Sheet-Stiffener Panels in Compression. Column Strength
- Chapter C8 : Buckling Strength of Monocoque Cylinders
- Chapter C9 : Buckling Strength of Curved Sheet Panels and Spherical Plates. Ultimate Strength of Stiffened Curved Sheet Structures
- Chapter C10 : Design of Metal Beams. Web Shear Resistant (Non-Buckling) Type. Part 1. Flat Sheet Web with Vertical Stiffeners. Part 2. Other Types of Non-Buckling Webs
- Chapter C11 : Diagonal Semi-Tension Field Design. Part 1. Beams with Flat Webs. Part 2. Curved Web Systems
- Chapter C12 : Sandwich Construction and Design
- Chapter C13 : Fatigue
- Chapter D1 : Fittings and Connections. Bolted and Riveted
- Chapter D2 : Welded Connections
- Chapter D3 : Some Important Details in Structural Design
Bruhn makes reference to a number of NACA and NASA documents, which are available below.